Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Making the most of 22%

So, my to do list is growing and growing and growing.  But this morning Kaylee woke up with a fever.  It was hard at first for me to decide whether to put all my "to do's" on hold in favor of sitting and snuggling on my girl all day.  But then I thought about how when she is older, I want her to look back and think fondly of the times when she was sick.  I want her to remember that I dropped everything to care for her and to snuggle on her all day.  So that's what I did.  Sometimes my mind would drift off to the more "productive" things I could have been doing.  But honestly, what is more "productive" than showing your children how much you love them?  All the other things are just details.  Here I sat all day; snuggling, getting drinks, getting medicine, taking temperatures, getting coughed all over, and exposing myself to illness when I really don't want to be sick when Ryan is home.  But Kaylee is so worth all of that.  Both of my kids are.  Everyone's kids are :0)  That other stuff can wait until another day.  Our time with our kids is so short.  We get 18 years and part of that time they want nothing to do with us.  If they live to be 80, that's only 22% of their lives.  I'm trying to make sure I (and they) get the most out of our time living together!

1 comment:

amypfan said...

Love this! I had never heard the "22% before," but I'll need to remind myself of that often. Hope Kaylee gets to feeling better soon--snuggles really are the best medicine!